But you can tell her to “Go to Hell!”
It’s cold. You’re sick of it. And there’s more of the white crap on the way.
WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?
We’re going to put on our big-girl panties and HAVE SOME FUN!
Seriously. There’s nothing we can do about it. We’re all in the same boat. But we can fight the blues by plowing through (no pun intended!) and making the best of it. Now’s the time to do something that you’ve always wanted to do. Here are my suggestions for ways to get out of your comfort zone and jump start that spring attitude.
A Little Retail Therapy
As shallow as it may sound, it always works for me. Make a purchase that will help get you through the rough spots, like
• a bright-colored bag – There’s no reason why you can’t pull it out now. Try red, green, pink, orange, yellow. That pop of color against all of the drab will make you smile every time.
• Boots – You can get something cute to shake up your wardrobe while staying warm and dry. Oh, and did I mention the 50-70% discounts?
• colored tights – For just a few dollars, you can stay warm while thumbing your nose at Mother Nature!
• spring cardigan – Make your first purchase toward your spring wardrobe, but layer it over a turtleneck or wrap a great scarf around your neck until it’s warm enough to wear it unbuttoned. Here’s another idea – wear it backwards, buttons in back, and pair with a statement necklace.
Get Thyself to the Gym
You have to be inside, so why not start working on your summer bod? Grab a friend and try a new fitness class. Many gyms will let you try them once for free. Popular these days are:
• spinning – my favorite. Work out your frustrations pedaling in a darkened room to great music. Be prepared to sweat, and don’t forget your water bottle.
• Zumba – Shake your booty – and everything else – to Latin dance moves with a little hip-hop thrown in. They call it a work-out. It’s really just a big party!!
• hot yoga – my daughter’s new addiction. Get in touch with your inner yogini at 98 degrees. Warm up your muscles for a deeper stretch, and sweat out all of the toxins while meditating on a tropical island (tee hee!).
Join a book club
Contact a local bookstore, get a group together, or join mine! A few months ago, I got tired of wishing for a book club to form and formed my own. “The Book Mobile – a virtual book club” is a Facebook club that anyone can join. Visit the group online for more information.
Start planning your summer vacation
Grab your laptop or tablet, do the research, make a down payment or open a savings account dedicated to your trip. Then send yourself a postcard in the mail, and stick it on the frig or the wall in your office to keep you motivated.
Have girlfriends over for dinner and a movie.
Don’t clean your house first. And don’t forget the wine.
Get a tattoo.
That’s another post for another time!