We’ve come to the end of our series “Top 10 Wardrobe Essentials.” I hope you were inspired to build a foundation wardrobe that makes getting dressed a lot less stressful – oh, and of course, dressing stylishly a lot less expensive!
Here’s a brief summary of the whole package.
The Top 10 Wardrobe Essentials, according to the amazing Tim Gunn, include:
- A Jacket
- Dress Pants
- A Skirt
- A White Blouse/Shirt
- A Day Dress
- A Pair of Jeans
- The “LBD” (or Little Black Dress)
- A Cashmere Sweater
- A Sweatsuit Alternative
- A Trench Coat
Where do I start?
1) Eliminate the items that you already own (and love!) from the list.
2) Arrange the remaining items in order of importance to your lifestyle.
3) Go to the first item on your list, and either start saving or shopping.
General tips when building your foundation wardrobe
- Spend as much as you can afford.
- Don’t buy it if it doesn’t fit (and don’t rule out a tailor).
Once you have the 10 essentials, you might want to add some of the pieces that I can’t live without.
- White and black t-shirts – My favorites are either from Target or the Gap, and I buy new ones every year. I wear them under suits as an alternative to a blouse; as an extra layer in the winter for warmth; to prevent scratchy sweaters from irritating my skin; or under a shirt with jeans for a casual look.
- Tights – Buy the same color as your skirt. My favorites are black and charcoal gray. I can’t have too many
- Boots – Since I have a hard time finding pants to fit me, I wear skirts and/or suits throughout the winter. A pair of nice boots paired with tights and a skirt provide just about the same amount of warmth on a nasty January day. And most fashion boots now come with a rubber bottom to prevent slips.
- A Tote – Gone are the days of briefcases for stylish women. Choose a leather or leather-look in a bright color. Or if you prefer a more conservative look, black will always be in fashion. But stay away from fabric and any words or logos. Save those for your grocery shopping.
On that note: Go forth and be stylish!
If you missed any of my posts in this series, I have included quick links to each of them below.
Top 10 Wardrobe Essentials
Easy as 1, 2, 3!
What’s not to love about a crisp, white shirt?
A Goat Hair Sweater – Seriously?
No more sweatsuits!
Fashion in the trenches